Facebook updates iPhone app...but nothing for iPad because "it's not mobile"

Facebook has at last updated its iPhone app. It includes new features like...err...better photo-tagging...and ... err...oh yes, it now includes the Facebook website "groups" feature. And that's about it.

Actually, that's not all. It also has a new thing called "deals".  We don't really know exactly how that will work yet, but it seems if you walk into a store and use Facebook on your iPhone to locate yourself to your friends, you could get discount in the shop.  I must admit, this sounds like it could be a bit of a money spinner for Facebook.

For example, Facebook has announced a partnership with the clothing retailer Gap, which is planning to run a campaign giving away a free pair of jeans to the first 10,000 people who "locate themselves" in a Gap store using the new Facebook app.

As for the other "updates"....bah, hardly worth writing about.  And perhaps it's just me, but the font size in the new app seems tiny...really, really small. I'm finding myself squinting at the screen.

Oh...and while I'm ranting: Facebook CEO Mark Zukerberg has also announced there will be no dedicated Facebook app for the iPad. And why?  Because "the iPad is not a mobile device".

NOT A MOBILE DEVICE?!? It's wireless and you can easily carry it around. Doesn't that make it mobile?

Facebook says it now has 200-million users on mobile devices - up from 65-million a year ago.

Of course, when I say mobile devices I don't mean the iPad because it's so heavy and, well, unmobile. But I dare say that won't stop Facebook's quest for world domination.

Here's the link to the updated iPhone Facebook app.

Comments