App Alert: TransLens Lets You Instantly Translate A Dozen Languages with Your iPhone Video Camera


A couple of weeks ago I told you about a new iPhone app called Word Lens, which uses breathtaking technology to translate languages instantly on an iPhone video camera screen. At the moment it only works between English and Spanish.

Well, there's now an app called TransLens that does the same but works with more than a dozen languages.

Open your iPhone video camera, point it at printed material and it will instantly translate it.

TransLens needs an internet connection and works on an iPhone 4 or 3GS.

The developers of Word Lens are promising more languages as in-app purchases. the developers of TransLens say more languages will be a free upgrade.

I've not tried TransLens, but I have tested Word Lens. It's a bit hit and miss, but the technology behind it is surely a glimpse of the future of language translation.

TransLens is £1.19/$1.99 in the Apple App Store.

Update: I've now tried TransLens and it works OK. Sometimes it's difficult to line up the image to get a translation, but, hey, it's early days for these apps and the technology has great potential.

Comments