O2 iPhone Rogue Roaming Charges Glitch "Still Not Fixed"


It seems Apple and O2-UK still haven't sorted out an iPhone bug that means users are getting charged for using data abroad - even when Data Roaming is switched off on their device.

And we all know that data roaming abroad can run up hefty bills.

The problem first surfaced this summer when O2 customers upgraded to the iOS4 operating system. Many returned from travel abroad to find they'd been charged for roaming data when it was turned off. And it seems the bug is still there.

The BBC's Technology Correspondent, Rory Cellan-Jones, has tweeted using his personal @Ruskin147 Twitter account:


In the past, O2 had admitted it doesn't know what's going on, but has advised people to switch off WiFi as well as Data Roaming when abroad.

So, if you're an O2 customer with an iPhone, check your data usage for charges after you've been abroad. So far, O2 has refunded disputed charges.

Follow IJSMblog on Twitter

Comments

TG said…
I have the same problem with o2. Still in dispute. This should be highlighted as two big companies like o2 and apple should have rectified it by now.
Anonymous said…
I phoned for advice on avoiding roaming charges, because of the new EU regulations. I carefully kept Data switched off throughout a week long trip to the US in October 2010. I now have a £250 data bill for that period.

O2 have "intimated user error in settings" - but I see on their discussion lists that others have complained of the same thing and been refunded.

I am not being offered a full refund. My contract is with Outsourcery who say O2 does not acknowledge a problem exists.....
IJSMblog said…
I also know O2 users who have had a full refund over this. And notice in the Ruskin147 Tweet, he quotes O2 saying there's a known fault. I don't know how Outsourcery works, but if your bill is from O2 I'd dispute it with them.