Apple CEO Steve Jobs is taking medical leave of absence from the company.
In 2004, Steve Jobs was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer and underwent a liver transplant operation in 2009, after which he returned to work having made "a full recovery".
He has now sent a memo to Apple employees:
Steve Jobs will stay on as CEO during his medical leave, with Chief Operating Officer Tim Cook taking over day-to-day responsibility for the running of the company.Team,At my request, the board of directors has granted me a medical leave of absence so I can focus on my health. I will continue as CEO and be involved in major strategic decisions for the company.I have asked Tim Cook to be responsible for all of Apple’s day to day operations. I have great confidence that Tim and the rest of the executive management team will do a terrific job executing the exciting plans we have in place for 2011.I love Apple so much and hope to be back as soon as I can. In the meantime, my family and I would deeply appreciate respect for our privacy.Steve
In January 2009, Steve Jobs announced he was taking a six-month leave of absence and in April that year he underwent a liver transplant operation at Memphis in Tennessee.
In June 2009, it was announced he was returning to work "for a few days a week" and working from home for the rest of the time.
In September 2009, he returned to the public stage to launch a new range of Apple products. During the launch, he revealed he'd received the liver of a young adult, who'd died in a car crash. "If it wasn't for that", he said, "I wouldn't be here".
Steve Jobs co-founded Apple in 1976 and was dismissed in a boardroom coup in 1985. He returned to the company in 1997. He is credited for then turning round the ailing Apple into one of the biggest success stories in business history.
He is deeply involved in all aspects of the company's work and has overseen the launch of the hugely successful iPod, iPhone and iPad as well as iMac computers.
Tim Cook is Steve Jobs' long-time lieutenant. He joined Apple in 1998 and was widely credited with keeping Apple on course during Mr Jobs' first medical leave of absence.
Update: Apple shares have fallen in value on international stock markets...up to 8%. The US markets are currently closed for a holiday and will resume trading on Tuesday. But the falls show just how closely Apple's fortunes are linked with Steve jobs. Apple is due to release its latest quarterly figures on Tuesday.

Comments