What's the phrase? Damp squib. Or Damp squid. I'm sure it's damp squib but today's Apple iPhone media event was more like an inky, waterlogged, dead squid.
The iPhone 4S. The same as the iPhone 4 but with some tweaks inside. A better camera. Wow. A faster processor. Wow. And better voice recognition. (While I'm sure this will be a great and much needed feature for people with sight problems, I'm not going to start shouting at my phone as I walk down the street. In fact, I'm not going to shout at my phone in the privacy of my own home.)
I upgraded from an iPhone 3G to the 3GS when it was launched. I can't quite remember why. I think it was simply because there was a new iPhone for sale.
But I certainly won't be upgrading my iPhone 4 to the 4S anytime soon. And as for downgrading the iPhone 4 to an 8GB version aimed at the pre-pay market, who's going to pay £429 for a pay-as-you-go phone? Not many.
OK the 4S may keep new iPhone customers happy, but it's not going to get current iPhone 4 owners flogging their devices on eBay and queueing up for the 4S. In fact, I doubt we'll see many queues at all.
There was absolutely no mention of an iPhone 5 so I suppose we'll have to wait until next year for that.
It seems Apple are now in the cycle of major iPhone updates every two years with an S incremental version in between.
My iPhone 4 will do me fine for two years, especially with iOS5 around the corner. At least I've broken free of having to get a new iPhone every year.
PS. Sad to see there was no sign of Steve Jobs at today's event.
You can follow IJSMblog on Twitter and Facebook
Comments