How To Make Your Own Micro-SIM for iPhone 4

I called Vodafone UK today to ask if they had micro-SIMs in stock for the new iPhone 4.

Yes, you've guessed it. They didn't and didn't really know why I might want one.

I went into a Voda store.  Exactly the same.  One of the people serving did know the iPad took micro-SIMs, and they offered me one of those.  But they're specially made for data only.

So...big sigh...what happens when your shiny unlocked uberphone arrives from Apple on June 24?  I think it's a fair bet the networks won't be geared up for saying: "Yes, sir, we have loads of micro-sims in stock. Just give me a few seconds and we'll transfer your account from your huge old SIM onto this dinky little thing. There. Done. Anything else we can help you with?"

It won't happen.  They may catch up at some time but who wants to leave their beautiful new thing in the box waiting.

The alternative is to chop your own SIM. Yes, get a knife, scissors, nerves of steel and hack away...VERY CAREFULLY!  Can you hack carefully? You know what I mean.

John Benson has written a guide to SIM trimming and it's got pictures.  Go into any O2 store and ask for one of their iPad micro-SIMs.  They're free and you can use it as a template to cut your gigantic-SIM.

I've cut down a SIM for an iPad and it's not difficult. But don't sue me if you make a mistake: just call your network and get them to send another card.

Here's John's guide:
John Benson

Comments

Called orange twice regarding the same thing and they were useless, I just dont want my iPhone to arrive and not be able to use it! Why can we not get clear and concise advice like o2's customers?
IJSMblog said…
Because the networks are lumbering and slow! Even O2 hasn't yet told us how much the iPhone 4 will cost up-front or if it will be on PAYG.
Don't be afraid to use the cut-your-own SIM method above. I have - for the iPad - and it works. Then, when the networks have caught up, ask them to transfer your account to a micro-SIM.