Tried Unsubscribing From The Times iPad App? It's Not Easy!


Have you tried The Times and The Sunday Times iPad apps? Mmmm. I have.
Have you tried to unsubscribe from The Times and Sunday Times iPad apps? Mmmm. I'm still trying.

These two UK News Corp newspapers offer a good deal for trying out their subscriptions. You agree to set up a direct debit and pay £1 for the first month to get the iPad and web versions.  You can then unsubscribe before the cost goes up to £2 a week.

So, I thought I'd try it. Now I want to unsubscribe...and it's remarkably difficult.
I thought there would be an unsubscribe button on the iPad apps. No, there isn't.

I then thought the websites would have an unsubscribe button. No they don't.

In fact, the only mention I could find of unsubscribing is in the very small print of the Terms and Conditions:
27.4 To cancel your subscription you must either email us at help@timesplus.co.uk or write to us at Customer Liaison, News International Limited, I Virginia Street, London, E98 1RL. You may cancel your subscription or registration at any time however except as specified in clause 27.3 above:
a) no refunds will be made in respect of your subscription or registration payments; and
b) payment of your next monthly subscription or registration payment shall be taken and not refunded where we receive your notice of cancellation less than six Business Days prior to the due date of payment of that monthly subscription or registration payment.  
I emailed my request to unsubscribe to the "help" address, but heard nothing. I then used the papers' website on-line chat help and was told to email the "payment" department.

I emailed the "payment" department who replied with a copy of the Terms and Conditions. So I again emailed the "help" department.

I have now had a reply from the "help" department, telling me my email has "been passed to the Customer Services team for their attention". And they will "endeavour to respond to your enquiry as soon as possible".

This has all taken a little over a week...and I'm still not unsubscribed!


Update: I'm now cancelled. It took four emails, one on-line help chat and eight days. 

Comments